Monday, April 27, 2009

The rotten cherry on top

In the midst of all of this panic about Kaesea's falling blood oxygen levels (PCV), while he was fighting for every breath in an oxygen cage, we got a bad blow: The biopsy that was done during surgery came back and Kaesea has intestinal cancer. Small cell lymphoma, to be exact. The good news is that this is very "treatable" in cats. The bad news is that "treatable" means "You could get another 24 months with him."

Of course, perspective is everything. If someone had told me 3 weeks ago that I would only have 2 more years with Kaesea, I probably would have kicked them where it hurt and then really freaked out.

But the day we got this news, I wasn't sure if we were even going to have Kaesea for a few more hours. Honestly, 2 years sounds wonderful at this point. If he can get through this, I would gladly take two more years with my darling kitty.

I also realize that there is no guarantee that we will get the full two years -- but Kaesea has proven himself to be quite the fighter so far, so I am hoping he will decide to fight through that too. We are debating about if and when to begin treatment, depending on how he pulls through these other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment