Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oh, blah, blah, blah

Not much good news to report here, but let's see what we've got:

At the risk of jinxing us, the vomiting seems to have stopped. He has not vomited since noon yesterday and it's 6:00pm now, so that's 30 hours. I'll take it. He did have a small amount of diarrhea at 10pm yesterday, but that has also gone away today.

Also, he does not have a fever. So that's good.

However.

He's not eating. I gave him an appetite stimulant today and that did result in the consumption of some Fancy Feast Flaked Skipjack Tuna Appetizer in a Delicate Broth (nope, not kidding on that one) but he's rejected all of his usual favorites other than that. He ate that this afternoon, but has not eaten anything since. I will continue to give him that medication and hope things get going again with the eating.

And he looks like hell. Which is, as we now know, one of the biggest indicators of Kaesea's health. I always took his fluffiness for granted before he got sick, but I now realize that he works hard on that lovely coiffure. When he's feeling crappy, the 'do is the first thing to go and boy does it look bad today.

This also means that he doesn't smell very good. So, of course, he slept right on my chest last night for the first time since he was a kitten. It was hard for me not to hum a few bars of "Smelly Cat," but he was happy so, of course, I let him stay. That's what showers are for, right?

We went back to the vet this afternoon to get some more fluids in him. He doesn't have a temperature, but he barely peed today and did not drink at all. Also, I can tell from his skin that he's dehydrated. So he's filled up again like a water balloon and they sent a bag of fluids home with me. At this point, we're keeping our fingers and paws crossed that a) he continues to keep everything down, b) he starts eating, and c) the hydration will make him feel generally better.

Right now, he is asleep on my jacket -- I put it on the bed when I came home tonight because he loves to lie on my clothes. As soon as I threw it down, he curled right up on it and passed out. Maybe some rest will help. Maybe he'll want to eat again when he gets up. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Thank you, as always, for your kind words and support. It was so great having a couple of months of "no news is [basically] good news" posts, but it looks like those are done for now. Thanks for sticking with us.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Kelly... I am so sorry to hear Kaesea has hit a rough patch again in this long and hard fought battle. I hope it turns out to be a small bump in the journey and that things improve very soon. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
    xo Vic

    ReplyDelete